State Counsel for Offenders
This section assists indigent offenders with some of their legal problems and questions. The most common services provided are:
- Petitions for Discretionary Review - In some situations, the attorney can assist offenders in filing a Petition for Discretionary Review of the Court of Appeals decision affirming their conviction. For this to be done, however, this office must receive notice of the decision within thirty (30) days of the date on the opinion.
- Pending Charges & Detainers – Attorneys in General Legal can provide information and/or assistance with pending charges problems and state detainers, out-of-state detainers, federal detainers, or county detainers.
- General Legal attorneys can assist in having an outstanding probation case revoked through the Probation Revocation Waiver Program.
- Administrative Proceedings & Other Legal Issues - Assistance can also be provided for defense of most civil actions, and other legal issues such as power of attorney, unsworn declarations, and expunction.
- Nunc Pro Tunc - These are prepared and filed to correct mistakes contained in judgments of conviction usually relating to jail time credit, improper affirmative findings of a deadly weapon, or mistake in the degree of felony conviction, etc.