ALERT - Visitation
YouTube icon image 

Frequently Asked Questions

Benefit Questions

  • How do I get a copy of something from my master personnel file?
    You should make your request in writing to HR Employee Services Records. Be sure to provide your name, social security number, what information you need and a mailing address or fax number where you would like to receive the responsive information. See your human resources representative for complete instructions.

  • What is Workers' Compensation?
    Workers’ Compensation is a state-regulated insurance program that pays medical bills and replaces some lost wages for employees who are injured at work or who have work-related diseases or illnesses.

  • How long do I have to work to draw Hazardous Duty or Longevity pay?
    Effective September 1, 2005, all eligible employees in a correctional career position will receive hazardous duty pay of $12.00 per month for each year of service in a correctional career position with a maximum of $300 per month. Eligible employees in a hazardous duty position other than those in a correctional career position will receive hazardous pay of $10.00 per month for each year of service in a certified position. Eligible employees in non-hazardous duty positions, who are not a working retiree, shall become eligible for $20.00 longevity pay for every two years of state service, with a maximum of $420.00 per month.

  • What action does the Agency take in the event of my death?
    The agency immediately notifies the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) so they can promptly generate the benefit claims packet and forward it to the named beneficiary.

  • When should I update beneficiary information?
    When significant changes happen in your life you must re-designate a person or persons to receive your retirement contributions, your life insurance benefits and other benefits in the event of your death. Specific changes: when you get married, divorced, re-married or if a designated beneficiary is no longer living. Additionally, when you have 10 years of service credit you should file a Death Benefit Plan and Beneficiary Designation request through ERS OnLine or contact ERS at (877) 275-4377.

  • As a retiree seeking re-employment, will I be subject to salary limitations?
    No. The 77th Legislature repealed the law governing salary limitation of re-employed retirees. Retirees are no longer prohibited from receiving a salary rate higher than the rate they were receiving upon retirement.

  • I am a reservist for the National Guard and have been called to active duty by the Governor for a State emergency. How will this affect my leave status with TDCJ?
    An employee who is in the National Guard and is called to active duty by the Governor is entitled to paid emergency leave for the time in which that employee is on active duty. This time is not limited and does not count against military leave or annual leave.

  • Page updated: 08/24/2017