Advisory Council on Ethics (ACE)
Code of Ethical Conduct
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice Code of Ethical Conduct is a fundamental element of the Agency's mission of providing public safety, promoting positive offender change and reintegration into the society, and assisting victims of crime.
As a reflection of our mission statement, the Code of Ethical Conduct serves as a practical guide for all employees. This code embodies a fundamental respect for the constitutional rights of all people. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to the agency's Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Maintain the highest standards of honesty, integrity and impartiality.
- Uphold all federal, state and local laws, and adhere to the agency's policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Be firm, fair and consistent in the performance of my duties, without retribution, retaliation, harassment or abuse toward others.
- Provide and support the provision of humane custody, supervision and care of offenders.
- Not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, geographic location or economic status.
- Not sexually harass or condone sexual harassment against any person, and shall report any violations of this policy to the appropriate authorities.
- Maintain confidentiality of information that has been entrusted to me, in my official capacity, unless legally compelled or authorized to release the information.
- Not use my official position for unauthorized personal gain or the unauthorized personal gain of my friends or family.
- Not conduct myself in any manner which may lead any person or entity to expect official favors.
- Recognize that the Code of Ethical Conduct is a symbol of the agency's commitment to the public and a direct reflection on the employee as an individual.